Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Kitchen Update 3.5: It's getting pretty cold

We're experimenting with keeping the heat set SUPER low -- I won't even say how low, just assume 5 degrees colder than what you would think is unbearably cold -- and spending most of our time in the kitchen/living with the fireplace cheerily burning away. So far, so good.

whoa, that's a messy table

cats will steal your chair if you get up

He got a pink cast for breast cancer awareness
This is how we've been spending our evenings. So cozy, but not so snuggly. We won't be able to move a couch in here until I patch the ceiling holes which I opened up so I could re-wire the fan/light in the living area. Then I should probably paint the ceiling.
"Fishing wire" through the ceiling is the worst. You have to open up all these holes and your hands get really scraped up by all the yanking of the wire you have to do in really tight spaces.
We have a sheet of plastic taped to the dining room/living room doorway, leftover from when the floors were being sanded, and later kept there when we were still waiting for the fireplace and had no heat in the kitchen/living (to keep the "warm" air in the rest of the house from escaping into the kitchen). Now we're talking about stringing up something more permanent with a tension rod so we can heat the kitchen without all the heat escaping into the rest of the house.
whoa, that looks so nice
I also put up a chandelier. I bought it for $15 at the Vermont Salvage and it didn't even need rewiring. I spray painted it black - feel free to call me a one-trick pony.


1 comment: