Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hardwood in the BATHROOM?! crazy..

After much deliberation and against much opposition from Home Depot associates, Dan and I have decided to install hardwood flooring in the master bath.
Like, no joke, this is how the conversation went down at Home Depot:

A: If I were to lay hardwood in a bathroom, which wood would you recommend?
HD1: we don't
A: I know it's not ideal, but let's say I wanted to
HD2: you shouldn't
A: OKKK, but if one were to, which wood would hold up the best in a moist environment?
HD1: none of them
A: I GOT IT. I'm going to anyway, so let's move on. WHICH F***ING WOOD?

Hardwood in moist environments is generally frowned upon, but we figured it's a master bath -- which means we can control the amount of moisture introduced to the floors by proper ventilation, cleaning up spills, etc. -- it's much warmer on your feet than natural stone, and we like the look of it. Behold:


Anyway, along with that decision came a realization that we'd have to refloor the entire second floor so it wouldn't look odd having the master bath in oak and the master bedroom and rest of the floor in pine. The pine was beat-up and not even desirable (it's not even hardwood; it's softwood) so we ordered 500sqft of Bruce plano marsh oak 2-1/4" hardwood from Home Depot which arrived last Monday.


You're supposed to let hardwood acclimate to warmer temperatures/higher humidity for 4-6 days so your floor doesn't buckle and look terrible when it gets warmer and the wood expands. Since our house temp is set to 55 degrees at night, I wonder how much acclimating in our house really helps...

So we started flooring on Saturday, but before the hardwood part, you have to put in an underlayment and figure out the straight line, blah blah, which means we didn't start laying down hardwood until Sunday afternoon.
Underlayment with vapor barrier from Lumber Liquidators
We bought a nailer from Lumber Liquidators for 99$ (which hopefully I can sell on ebay once I'm all done with flooring) and borrowed Carpenter Dan's compressor:

 You know, I thought laying down floors would take a few hours, mostly because it looks really easy and fast on HGTV. Story of my life, I guess; every project takes a million times longer than I expect. I finished last night at midnight, but I'm pretty happy with it :)







6 comments:

  1. beautifully done, Ayumi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayumi is a machine. I'm only slightly embarrassed to say that I was sound asleep for the last two hours of this while Ayumi plowed on. Can't wait to get the clawfoot tub touched up and in this room. I like the one in that picture. Is that black or dark brown?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job and sometimes you have to make your own choices. The right hardwood floor looks excellent in a bathroom and stands up to the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So impressive! I just caught up on all your posts. My dad is a huge fan of your blog :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy! Totally sweet that your Dad reads our blog. :) Hi, Mr. Liu!

      Delete