Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mantle part deux

GO GO GO. Kitchen/Living room almost done! For now!


Evolution of fireplace wall:

Door to bathroom getting closed

Carpenter Dan builds a base for fireplace (and I wave around live electrical wire)

fireplace installed (and Dan breaks his arm)
framing for wall
Carpenter Dan builds a beautiful mantle and neat little cubby cabinet

Staining the mantle. Did I mention our mantle has these *secret* compartments? (mainly to provide access to gas valve)


access panels
Looking better...
Wowza
Damn, I love that dentil moulding
As you can see above, I painted the wainscoting (Behr paint and primer in one in satin, delicate white). Wainscoting painting prep was a little laborious - it's not in the best condition, so I had to patch a bunch of little holes with wood filler. The paint guy at Home Depot said the Behr paint and primer in one stuff should go on no problem, and even on natural wood with a high-gloss finish (which is what my wainscoting is), I should only need 2 coats. I was skeptical, though, so I wiped all the boards down before painting with liquid deglosser. Liquid deglosser primes a finished surface for painting, kind of like sanding does, but without the dusty mess, plus you're kind of cleaning the surface as you wipe the deglosser on. I don't know if the stuff helped at all, but I did need 3 coats of Berh on all the boards. I guess that proves nothing.
that's the stuff
painting, painting, forever the dreaded painting
It's all worth it in the end


It's looking a little more country than I hoped for, but that's kind of inevitable with wainscoting. It's definitely brighter and fresher and cleaner looking though.


So we're wrapping up in the kitchen/living room, and I'm starting to brainstorm about the half bath. Very exciting plans, I have.

2 comments: