Friday, January 17, 2014

My teaching

During my class the other day I was explaining to my MBA students that they should negotiate more with their significant others because it can leave both sides better off.

Here is the example I made up on the fly, as it came out of my mouth:

"So my wife and I are planning an evening out, dinner and a movie. One of us wants Thai food and one of us wants American. One of us wants to see a gory Horror movie and one of us wants to see a sappy Romance. So in the interest of compromising, we could meet in the middle on both issues and go out to get Italian food and go see an Action movie. But it turns out that I care a lot more about food and she cares a lot more about entertainment. So instead, we can both be better off if we go to get my Thai food and then see her Horror movie."

3 comments:

  1. and THAT'S why they are paying you the big bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Ayumi loves Thai food and sappy romances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Right. Not only is this a useless example, but it makes me look like a ponce and it's a lie about my wife! [Feeling shame]

    ReplyDelete