Sunday, July 7, 2013

We moved

Upstairs, officially!

Before we get to that, lets backtrack a few months...
I'd predicted that we'd make the move in May, and we could've since the bedroom was done for the most part, but that would've meant groping our way in the dark through a very dusty hallway to get to bed (because the hallway was still in the mudding/sanding phase and the electrical was not yet hooked up). But then I went on a spontaneous 12 day trip to Japan, and then Dan got a serious concussion playing soccer in addition to pulling his hamstring (he basically couldn't use his brain for 2 weeks and was sleeping like a cat) and then I broke my foot, and then I flew to Santa Fe to help out with the birth of my first niece (she's beautiful and healthy!) and now it's July.
niece!
nephews!
When I got back from Santa Fe, I finished all the mudding/sanding, primed and painted the halls, installed the potlights, and hooked up the electrical.
...still have to patch those pine floors
It was time to hook up the second floor water lines to the rest of the water. The rest of the house is fed by 1/2" copper lines and the lines to the second floor are 3/4" pex (before branching off in 1/2" pex), and the plumbers had attached shut off valves and a pex adapter to the cooper lines. All we had to do was attach the pex with clamps. Easy peasy. Here is the triumphant video of the first time we opened the valve:

Yeah, what a downer.
I was able to get a plumber in 2 days later, and he told me that yes, the adapter was appropriate for pex, but no, it wasn't the right size. Instead of an adapter for 3/4" pex, it was an adapter for 1/2" pex. He was able to fix it in an hour, and Dan and I ran around checking all the faucets and toilets gleefully and everything looked dandy. After a few celebratory toilet uses, ahem, I went my merry way painting baseboards and Dan started demoing out the chimney room. Some time later, I noticed a puddle in the hallway on the other side of the master shower wall. I showed Dan with dread and his first thought was to check underneath the puddle for water damage. Aaaaand of course, the ceiling of the bedroom on the first floor was drenched right above the bed and it was steadily dripping onto the bed (my side of the bed, obviously). We agreed that the drips were as fast as could still constitute as drips, before being a trickle - if that helps your mental picture. So we shut off the water to the second floor, sawed out the wet drywall, and tried to locate the source of the leak. I knew it had to be a supply line issue because we just hadn't drained enough water for the problem to lie in the drainage (a few hand washes, a quick spurt of shower, a few flushes of toilet, but also the toilets are far from the leak), but just to be safe, we dumped a bunch of water down the sinks and shower drains - no leaks. We turned on just the cold water - nothing. We turned on just the hot water, and there it was: a steady drip drip drip. A few minutes of investigating later, we figured out the leak was in the wall of the master shower, in the shower valve. And I don't think the plumber can get at it from the opening in the shower wall, which means he's going to have to saw an opening into my pretty drywall. F%#*.
catching any stray drips
the leak is at the connection way to the left side. GAH.
no comments


I just have no words.
Luckily, the cold water is fine, so we can turn that on and use our toilets and sinks for cold water. And since our bedroom downstairs is such a horrifying mess, we decided to move upstairs the next day. So I'm pretty happy as long as I don't think about all the extra drywall patching I'm going to have to do now. That cursed ceiling.


Getting drapes might be priority though (especially in the bathroom).


5 comments:

  1. You broke your foot?! How's life on the second floor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-MAZING. LOVE IT. LOVE THE SHOWER. LOVE MY NEW TOILET. Foot still hurts though :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. niiiice...yes, that is quite an upgrade from your downstairs shower.

    Condo's great! When are you guys coming to visit?! :)

    ReplyDelete